These are some of the best vegan energy foods to help plant-based eaters feel their best and get the most out of life!
If you’re new to a vegan diet or just feel in a slump after years of plant-based eating, there are some tricks and changes you can make to increase your energy and get back to feeling your best.
While you may get asked, as a vegan, how you get enough protein to keep you energized. The truth is that there are dozens of healthy and filling vegan protein sources that help you build and maintain strong bones and muscles.
Of course, protein isn’t the only nutrient that can affect your energy levels. Let’s dig into some of the best vegan foods for energy to keep you feeling and performing at your peak all day long.
Vegan High Energy Meals are Easy with These Ingredients
Whether you’re cooking at home or ordering take-out, there are a few key ingredients to choose if you want to maximize your energy levels.
To fill your pantry with top vegan energy foods, make sure you always have these key ingredients on hand:
- Leafy greens. You’ve probably been told to finish your greens before. And that’s because they’re full of plant-based antioxidants and fiber that will keep you full and support overall health.
- Colorful fruits. One of the best ways to maximize your nutrient intake is to focus on eating a variety of colors. When your plate resembles a rainbow of fresh produce, you’re probably getting a huge variety of essential nutrients. These are the vitamins and minerals your body needs for energy, memory, immune functioning, and more.
- Nuts and seeds. These plant-based powerhouses are excellent vegan energy foods. They’re naturally high in heart-healthy fats and protein to keep you satisfied. Include a serving of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or chia seeds in your daily diet to reap major health benefits.
- Oats. It’s no surprise that whole grain rolled oats are a must-have vegan energy source. They’re naturally high in protein and fiber, which help stabilize blood sugar for long, sustained periods of high energy. Starting your day with a bowl of whole-grain muesli, for example, is a great way to stay satisfied without a sugar crash by lunchtime.
- Legumes. Lentils, beans, and chickpeas are excellent vegan protein sources. They’re also highly versatile in the kitchen and work as heart-healthy meat replacements in your favorite dishes, from bolognese to tacos and more.
Vegan Energy-Boosting Snacks
The first step is to stock your pantry with the best vegan energy foods listed above. Then it’s easy to throw together simple snacks that support healthy, sustained energy all day long.
Some of the best high-energy vegan snacks to whip up at home include:
- Apple or banana slices with almond butter.
- Creamy hummus with carrot and celery sticks.
- Muesli with fresh fruit and plant-based yogurt.
- Homemade trail mix with mixed nuts and dried fruit.
- Green smoothies with fruits and veggies.
Ultimately, the key to maintaining healthy energy levels as a vegan is choosing whole foods. And always opt for minimally processed ingredients. Eat a balance of fiber, fat, protein, and carbohydrates to stay full, satisfied and to keep your body functioning at its best.
For more vegan energy snack inspiration, see our list of easy and tasty recipes.