One of my favorite things about muesli is its versatility. You could eat it a different way everyday of a week, if you wanted to! And if you follow the right recipes, then this plant-based breakfast food will never lose its health benefits. One of the most popular ways to prepare muesli is called overnight oats, or “Swiss Style Muesli.” If you’re interested in learning how to make overnight oats, then this is the post for you!
Maybe you just want to know how to make the simplest overnight oats possible. Or perhaps you’re searching for fresh and unusual twists on the classic Swiss Muesli recipe.
Whatever the case, the following collection of easy breakfast recipes is overflowing with overnight oatmeal ideas inspiration, pictures, and videos.
How to Make Healthy Overnight Oats 101: Overview
- Bircher Muesli Recipe 101: What Are Overnight Oats?
How to Get FREE Shipping on the Best Organic Muesli Brand on the Planet
Video: 4 Ways to Eat Muesli
Are Overnight Oats Safe?
- What Are the Health Benefits of Bircher Muesli?
Advantages of Breakfast Foods High in Fiber, Protein, and Healthy Fats
- The Internet’s 17 Best Bircher Muesli Recipes
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Swiss Style Muesli:
4 Rookie Mistakes to Avoid
What Are Healthy Overnight Oats?
First things first. What is muesli, anyway? Simply put, muesli is a traditional breakfast cereal with a whole grains base. This is typically mixed with dried fruits and nuts. Mu Mu Muesli features a base of organic whole grain oats and red wheat flakes.
In addition to the oats and flakes, the Mu Mu Muesli recipe contains:
- Roasted Nonpareil Almonds
- Raw, Un-Sulphered Coconut Flakes
- Organic Flax Seeds
- Dried Raisins and Medjool Dates
- Cranberries sweetened naturally with Apple Juice
The raisins and cranberries contain sunflower oil. This oil is a healthy fat and a staple on our ready-made vegan grocery shopping list for beginners.
What is Bircher Muesli?
Overnight oats involve soaking your muesli mix overnight. Typically, people soak them in:
- Hemp Milk
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Milk
- Soy Milk
Soaking the oats overnight is kind of like a slow-motion form of cooking them. This process gently breaks down the starches, making the oats soft and spongy.
The next step is add-in ingredients and toppings, such as:
- Nuts, like pecans or walnuts
- Fresh vegan coconut whipped cream
- Fresh fruit, like pomegranate seeds or fresh kiwi
- Seeds, especially chia seeds or hemp seeds
I love the flexibility of Swiss muesli recipes, since you can easily personalize them. Love dragon fruit? How about chocolate or coconut milk? Great! Whatever you prefer, there are oodles of recipes to use with your favorite foods.
Are Overnight Oats Safe?
Absolutely! In fact, oats lose something called phytic acid while they soak. As a result, they’re easier to digest. Also, your body is able to absorb more of the vitamins and minerals present in the various overnight oats add-ons and toppings.
Since overnight oats recipes usually contain milk or yogurt, do make sure to store them in the refrigerator.
Video Tutorial: 4 Great Ways to Eat Muesli
In the following video, you’ll see four ways to prepare muesli. And, of course, Bircher Muesli is one of them!
Bircher Muesli vs Swiss Muesli vs Overnight Oats vs…?
There are many different terms for the same thing! When searching for Bircher Muesli Recipes, it helps to know that there a lot of names for the same type of recipe. Altogether, there are 7 different names that mean the same thing:
- Overnight Oats
- Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Bircher Muesli
- Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar
- Swiss Muesli
- Overnight Muesli
- Swiss Style Oats
Overnight Muesli Benefits
Health Benefits of Overnight Oatmeal
Muesli is healthy enough on its own, but there are several specific Swiss Muesli Benefits to supercharge its nutritional value even more.
7 Proven Overnight Muesli Benefits:
- Bircher Muesli is high in resistant starches, a special type of starch that improves gut health, aids digestion, and speeds up your metabolism.
- Unlike most store-bought cereals or instant oatmeal, overnight oats makes you feel satisfied and energized longer. According to this 2015 study, this helps you eat less snacks and may lead to weight loss.
- Eating a plant-based diet with foods like overnight oats can dramatically reduce your risk for diabetes. It also increases longevity, lowers blood pressure, and helps protect you from heart disease.
- Our classic Bircher Muesli recipe is rich in dietary fiber. This is essential for maintaining a healthy weight and controlling blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels.
- Mu Mu overnight oatmeal is also high in natural healthy fats, which helps circulate essential vitamins and minerals throughout your body. Healthy fats are also great for brain health, disease prevention, and healthy cholesterol.
- It’s important to eat breakfasts foods high in fiber and protein. The beauty of overnight oats is that you can add all kinds of high-protein ingredients, like organic nut butters or yogurt. Protein-rich breakfasts help with weight loss, especially stubborn belly fat. They also boost your metabolism and keep you feeling full longer.
- Mu Mu Bircher Muesli contains low glycemic index foods. In other words, it’s great for keeping blood sugar levels in check and reducing your risk for diabetes. You get the benefits of healthy natural sugars without the poisonous effects of added sugar.
How to Make Overnight Oats:
17 Easy & Delicious Bircher Muesli Recipes
Without further ado, let’s jump into the part you’ve been waiting for: how to make overnight oats! The following list of Swiss Muesli recipes includes everything from cacao to lemon, so there’s definitely a wide variety of options.
I discovered some of these recipes from a few fellow vegan food blogs. But you can always tweak their recipes a little. (As well as the original Mu Mu recipes!) For example, you can swap Mu Mu Muesli for the rolled oats and certain fruits and nuts in many of these recipes. This will actually increase the nutritional profile and simplify things. Because it’s a lot easier when ingredients like oats, flaxseed, and coconut are already in the mix for you!
Mu Mu’s Original Swiss Muesli Recipe
How to Make Healthy Overnight Oats with Yogurt
This is a delicious yet simple overnight muesli recipe. But simple doesn’t mean boring! The lemon, fresh apple, honey, cinnamon, and yogurt really work some magic as they soak overnight.
Classic Mu Mu Overnight Muesli Recipe:
- 2 cups Mu Mu Muesli
- 1¾ cups milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored and grated with the peel
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups plain yogurt
- A dash of cinnamon (optional)
First, combine all of the ingredients and seal in an airtight container. After letting them soak in the fridge for at least eight hours, they’re safe to consume! I really like fresh blueberries, raspberries, or dates as toppings. Or for a healthy brain-boosting food, add some vegan cacao.
Again, feel free to use any type of plant-based yogurt. You can also substitute organic maple syrup or yacon syrup for the honey.
Protein Overnight Oats
Breakfast Foods High in Fiber and Protein
Depending on the size of your jar(s), you can make this in a single jar or spread it out between a few. Experiment! This is a great fast and easy vegan recipe as well as a convenient “on-the-go” breakfast recipe for busy mornings!
Mu Mu Pecan Chia Seed Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 1/4 Cup Mu Mu Muesli Mix
- 2/3 Cups of Almond Milk
- 1-3 Jars with Airtight Lids
- 2 Tablespoons Walnuts (Chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Honey*
- 1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds
Combine all of your ingredients and mix together in a small bowl. After that, distribute the mixture evenly between the jars. Then secure the lids tightly, and store in your refrigerator overnight. Since the oats really need time to “marinate,” make sure to wait for at least 8 hours before consuming.
In the morning, top with some chopped raw walnuts or fruit, and viola!
*The honey is optional, since the fruit acts as a natural sweetener. And of course, feel free to use a different kind of sweetener. I suggest browsing our list of 10 little-known healthy sugar alternatives for inspiration!
This recipe has a lot going for it! It’s a fabulous source of healthy fats, dietary fiber, vegan protein, and antioxidants. But it also contains ingredients that help your brain.
For example, check out these walnut brain benefits:
- Although we need to see more studies, the current scientific evidence is encouraging. One study notes the anti-tumor properties of walnuts, as well as their ability to improve memory. This may help with brain fog!
- According to the Journal of Nutrition, these nutrients protect your brain from free radical damage and inflammation as you age. Specifically, it’s the Vitamin E, polyphenols, and healthy fats that keep your brain strong. This promotes better memory retention, as well as a reduced risk for diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- In fact, one observational study reports that eating walnuts regularly may give elderly individuals stronger, more agile thought processes.
- Another published study reports that walnuts may improve brain function in a number of ways. These include less anxiety, better memory retention, and an increased ability to learn new things. This is great for people who suffer from condition such as chronic anxiety or difficulty concentrating.
If you’re interested in finding more foods to boost your brain health, then you’ll love What to Eat for a Happier, Healthier Brain.
Banana Overnight Oats Recipe
Low Calorie Overnight Oats Recipe
Bananas are full of essential nutrients like potassium, magnesium, Vitamin C, and copper. They’re also low in calories and a terrific high fiber, low glycemic index food! So why not add them to your next overnight oatmeal recipe?
I recommend the Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats Recipe by Breakfast Drama Queen. It’s only 308 calories per serving, and it’s chocolate. What’s not to love? Another great one is the Orange, Coconut, & Vanilla Overnight Oats Recipe by My Fussy Eater.
Easy Overnight Oats with Yogurt
Kiwi + Strawberry Overnight Oatmeal Jars
Kiwis are the best! They’re incredibly sweet, a good source of fiber, and full of vitamins and antioxidants.
Check out this Kiwi Banana Overnight Oats from The Healthy Home Cook, as well as this Overnight Oats with Kiwi and Coconut Flakes from Cooking Light.
Another fabulous kiwi banana overnight oats recipe is a unique Kiwi and Passionfruit Overnight Oats Recipe. This one comes with a tutorial on YouTube by Honeysuckle!
The Essential Overnight Oats Cheat Sheet
A Handy List of The Internet’s Best Overnight Oatmeal Recipes
Easy Overnight Oats with Almond Milk
These next two Swiss Muesli recipes are twists on the classic Mu Mu recipe.
Swiss Muesli Recipes with Coconut Milk
Vegetarian Coconut Milk Recipes
Coconut is a-mazing for your mind, body, skin, and hair. Of course it’s one of the best types of milk for overnight oats! The creamy texture makes the end result oh-so scrumptious, and its slightly nutty flavor blends well with almost anything.
Check out the 4 recipes below for some inspiration:
- Vegan Coconut Bircher Muesli with Berry Compote
- Coconut Cashew Bircher Muesli
- Lemon and Coconut Milk Bircher Muesli Recipe
- Vegan Bircher Muesli with Sultanas and Coconut Flakes
High Fiber Avocado Recipe
Vegan Breakfast Recipes with Avocado
Creamy avocados really up the ante in overnight oats! The way they mingle with the other ingredients is truly one-of-a-kind. In addition to tasting amazing, avocados are a great sources of fiber, healthy fats, and many more nutrients.
- Avocado and Banana Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Avocado Mason Jar Overnight Oatmeal
- Chocolate Avocado Oats for Weight Loss
Overnight Chia Oats Recipe
Best Foods for Natural Energy Boost
Chia seeds are truly one of nature’s best superfoods. They’re rich in vitamins and minerals like magnesium, zinc, and certain B-Vitamins. These mighty little seeds also have plenty of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. And if you’re looking for more vegan calcium sources, you’ll love this fact: a single ounce of chia seeds provides 18% of the DRI for adults.
I could write for ages about the health benefits of chia seeds, but I’ll just mention a couple of highlights. For example, they contain ingredients that actively protect your body from cancer. And due to their “holy trinity of bone health,*” regular consumption promotes stronger bones and helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Overnight Chia Oats
- Easy Banana Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
- Vegan Peanut Butter Refrigerator Oats with Chia Seeds
*When magnesium, phosphorous, and protein are combined, their health benefits are even more powerful. Especially for your bones!
Overnight Oatmeal Jars
Easy Clean Eating Recipes for Beginners
Blueberry Overnight Oats Recipes
Since blueberries are amazing vegan superfoods, I had to include some inspiration for your next healthy overnight oats venture!
- Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats with Honey
- Simple Blueberry Overnight Oatmeal
- Blueberry Banana Pecan Overnight Oatmeal Recipe
Getting the Most Out of Your Overnight Oatmeal
4 Rookie Mistakes to Avoid
Although Swiss muesli is truly one of the easiest vegan recipes for beginners, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. However, even if you’re a newbie, you don’t have much to worry about.
I hope you’re confident and have fun making your own unique breakfast creations!
Just watch out for these 4 common mistakes*:
- Forgetting to stir before eating. Since the ingredients naturally separate overnight, make sure to stir your overnight oats before diving in.
- “Guess-timating” the liquid amount. I’m all too guilty of being too laid back with measurements, so this is the kind of reminder I need! If you don’t have enough liquid, then your Swiss Muesli will have a too-thin consistency. On the other hand, not enough liquid will cause a thick, dry clump. A helpful rule of thumb is a 1:1 liquid-to-muesli ratio.
- Keeping at room temperature. Instead, store your overnight oats in an airtight container in the fridge. Swiss Muesli is typically good for 4-5 days.
- Mixing your toppings in with your base recipe. Dried fruit, nuts, and coconut flakes are delicious mixed in with oats. (Cue this delightful video!) But do remember to keep some toppings separate.
For example, store enough fresh berries or Cacao shreds in a dry, separate container. This adds texture to your breakfast, and it onlyy takes a minute or two to add them.
Overall, the bottom line is to have fun! As long as you remember the 1:1 rule, it’s hard to go wrong. Experiment with different kinds of sweeteners. And treat yourself to fun, classy glass jars!
Have you seen all of the beautiful Overnight Muesli recipes on Pinterest? They’re great for inspiration.
If you liked How to Make Overnight Oats, then you’ll also enjoy:
17 Healthy Pancake Toppings for Your Clean Eating Meal Plan
7 Astonishing Reasons NOT to Eat Muesli
*Many thanks to The Kitchn for the heads up on these common mistakes!