This easy vegan salad recipe is extra special, since it was created by Mike and Lisa, the masterminds behind the Mu Mu Muesli recipe and as well as the Mu Mu Magic healthy pancake recipe. It doesn’t take long to prepare, and it contains everything you need for a filling vegan meal. Even protein! Sometimes salads leave you feeling unsatisfied, but not this one. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions and pictures.
The Most Delicious Farro & Grape Kale Salad
The inspiration behind this quick vegan dinner recipe actually comes from Martha Stewart! Mike and Lisa watched one of their shows in which she mentioned farro, an ancient type of wheat grain. It emerged from Mesopotamia thousands of years ago and is a great substitute for refined grains. Farro is an excellent whole grain source of B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, and protein.
After watching Martha make a salad using farro, Lisa and Mike decided to make their own version, and it is delicious. All by itself, the salad is one of the best vegan meals that requires very little time or money, especially when you compare it to some of the more elaborate vegan dinner plans out there.
- Red grapes
- A red or white onion
- Baby kale
- Vegetable oil (Olive oil, Safflower oil or whatever kind you love!)
- Pinch of salt
1. First, cook the farro. The ratio should be 2 cups of farro to 4 cups of lightly salted water. Bring it to a boil, and then cover. Turn down the heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes.
2. Next, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. While the oven is pre-heating and the farro is cooking, you can prepare the onions and the grapes. Drizzle the oil over the baking sheet, and then slice the onion.
4. You can place the onion on the baking sheet along with a generous bunch of red grapes. After arranging the veggies on the baking sheet, pour some more oil on top. Mike and Lisa recommend sprinkling some salt and a little pepper on top of the onions.
5. After the veggies are ready to go, place them in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the onions get nice and soft. You can tell they’re ready to come out when the onions appear caramelized and the oil turns pink from the grapes.
6. Now it’s time to get your baby kale ready.
6. Now it’s time to toss everything together in a big bowl. This includes all the delicious pink salty oil from the baking sheet!
Tip: It’s best to combine everything when the farro is still warm and the grapes and onions are hot out of the oven. This is because the heat wilts the baby kale just perfectly and marries everything together so nicely.
You can add salt or pepper to taste, if you’d like. And that’s it! You now have a filling, nutrient-rich easy vegan salad for a truly satisfying dinner.
Looking for more easy vegan salad recipes?
Everyone who prefers plant-based foods needs a long list of great vegan recipes. After all, variety is the spice of life! You can find plenty of vegetarian and vegan recipes by following our Pinterest boards. Specifically, the “Raw Vegan Recipes” and “Clean Eating Recipes” sections should have what you’re looking for!