While it’s tempting to try to “play it by ear” and eat whatever vegan foods happen to be available, this isn’t the most sustainable vegan lifestyle choice. This could inadvertently lead to nutritional deficiencies, which are actually quite common in vegans who don’t make a conscious effort to eat a full, well-rounded diet.
What is a Vegan Food Pyramid?
A healthy vegan diet should follow a healthy Vegan Food Pyramid as a guide. Obviously, this is different than the “traditional” food pyramids! As you can see in the infographic above, a healthy vegan or vegetarian food pyramid includes:
- Plenty of leafy greens and other vegetables
- A variety of low-glycemic index fruits, especially berries like acai berries and blueberries
- Legumes and soy, like tofu and tempeh
- Whole grains, such as those found in muesli, oatmeal, or barley pancakes
- Nuts and seeds (These are a great source of protein, as well as healthy fats!)
- Healthy oils like sunflower or coconut oil
Mu Mu Muesli is an excellent source of vegan whole grains, antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins. It’s ethically sourced, and it also comes in zero waste packaging.
Browse both individual packages and bulk muesli selections.
Vegan Meal Planning Tips
- Use refined foods and sugar sparingly. Instead, buy vegan foods from ethical brands and substitute natural sugars for refined sweeteners.
- Check out Don’t Make a Common Beginner Vegan Mistake: Pay Attention to These 6 Ingredients! To summarize, some vegans and vegetarians are deficient in essential nutrients. So make sure to include foods rich in Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, iron, calcium, and vegan protein.
- Avoid artificial preservatives, additives, and pesticides. Instead, aim for non-GMO and glyphosate-free foods.
Mu Mu Magic healthy pancakes mix is an organic blend of whole grain flours with delicious crumbled dates and cranberries.
Browse Pancakes Mix Selection
Easy Vegan Recipes for Beginners
If you want some simple vegan recipes, try some from the list below! They’re quick and easy. Better yet, they provide you with the essential nutrients that are essential in a healthy vegan diet.
- Easy DIY Acai Bowl Recipe
- Hemp Seed-Infused Coconut Milk
- 18 Easy Vegan Smoothie Bowl Recipes
- Mu Mu’s Original Farro & Kale Vegan Salad Recipe
- Easy Pancake Recipe Without Eggs
- 8 Muesli Cookie Recipes for Vegans on the Go
- Overnight Oats (aka “Swiss Muesli” or “Bircher Muesli”)
- Homemade Vegan Nutella Recipe
You’ll find much more in-depth information in the blog archives below. But I hope this helped you form a quick understanding of what it means to follow a healthy vegan diet! Follow the Mu Mu Muesli Pinterest account to join a clean eating community with clean eating tips and recipes.
Bonus: My Vegan Plate PDF